Subject: Re: getting my feet wet
To: None <NRitter@mail.lfcds.lfc.edu>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/02/1996 09:35:54
On Wed, 01 May 1996 14:38:52 -0500  NRitter@mail.lfcds.lfc.edu wrote:
> Can anybody give me a few NetBSD commands/syntax to help me get
> started with NetBSD? I'm trying not to have to buy a book (I know,
> this is a stupid idea)

NetBSD is not unlike any other unix, it's all basically the same
from a user POV (well except ps(1)'s args :-).

Seriously, you may find it difficult to start if you don't know
much unix, but I would start with:

man man
and
man csh

Once you understand how man (the "help" program) works, you should be
on your way (do we have an intro page yet?).  Also reading about your
shell (csh in this case) will help.

IMHO there is no real substiute for a good book.  "unix for the
impatient 2nd" is good and I recommend it highly.

This presupposes you already have a running NetBSD box.

However, to install and administrate NetBSD, you need be able to
perform some system administration tasks.  In that case, you will also
need "The unix system administrators handbook".  Very excellent way to
get started with administration; it covers the basics and builds from
there.

I will not lie: unix is user friendly, but beginner hostle.

(ie it's very flexible and great when you know it; but it's difficult
to learn)