Subject: Re: LFS Help
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/1996 18:18:40
> > >mount_lfs: Operation not supported by device
> >
> > You need to change the partition type in the disklabel to BSD_LFS
> > instead of BSD_FFS.
>
> This bit I never understood. Why is it useful to have the *type* of
> file system stored (and restricted to) in the disklabel ? Surely various
> mount programs etc can look at magic number etc before working ?
>
> Pros ? Cons ?

Well:
	(1) this allows a 'smart' fsck 'master' program to dispatch to
	    the correct file system's fsck program, even in the
	    absence of an /etc/fstab file.
	(2) It's foolproof (assuming software uses it correctly).  You
	    never want properly-written software to trash somebody's
	    disk because it mis-recognized a partition...

I think a better question is, why _wouldn't_ you want to do it?
(one possible answer is that you can't do it reliably on some ports,
which have native disklabels of whatever type, that don't do the right
thing.  however, there are ways to work around that.)

cgd