Subject: Re: EIDE cd-rom unde netbsd
To: Dante Profeta <dante@mbox.vol.it>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/25/1996 17:38:04
>I've got an EIDE cd-rom (I'm running i386 netbsd1.1), but I'm not able to
>access it:
>
>   # mount_cd9660 -r /dev/xxx /mnt
>
>(xxx == cd0a || cd0d || mcd0a || mcd0d, the only ones I have)
>but it says always:
>
>   mount_cd9660: Read-only file system

I don't believe you want to use mount_cd9660 directly.  You probably want:

mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/xxxx /mnt

Even better, put this in your fstab:

/dev/cd0d /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0

You can then just say "mount /cdrom" and it will Just Work.

>Is there a way to access ms-dos partitions?
>
>    # mount_msdos /dev/wd0d /mnt
>
>doesn't work, it says:
>
>    mount_msdos: mount: Invalid argument.

Assuming you have MSDOSFS in your kernel, what you want to do is create
a new partition using disklabel (maybe partition "e"?) and set that to
be your MS-DOS partition.  Note that usually MS-DOS partitions start
at offset 32, so you probably want to make that partition do the
same thing (you can use the NetBSD "fdisk" to find out the start of
your MS-DOS partition).

>If it is mountable, may I mount it as rw?

Yup.  I do it all the time.

--Ken