Subject: vivivi, the editor of the beast
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/1996 11:47:38
So, anyway, I want to get this thing working correctly, because it is
small, fast and available, and I want to wait till I get X installed
before I build emacs, and that means I need to rebuild the kernal,
which means I need to edit the config file of my choice, yes? Yes.

So why do I get this message:

hacksaw:/usr/user/hacksaw:{108} vi
Error: Temporary file: Permission denied.

hacksaw:/usr/user/hacksaw:{109} vi .cshrc
log db: Permission denied.

To add to the confusion:

hacksaw:/usr/user/hacksaw:{110} cd /var
hacksaw:/var:{111} ls -al
total 36
drwxrwxrwx  18 root   wheel      512 Nov 24 05:25 .
drwxrwxr-x  16 234    125        512 Oct 14  1995 ..
.
.
.
drwxrwxr-x   4 root   wheel      512 Apr 23 00:44 db
.
.
.
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   wheel      512 Nov 24 05:25 preserve
.
.
.
drwxrwxrwt   3 root   wheel      512 Apr 23 00:20 tmp

(preserve's permission reflect those deleted for clarity)

Any clue?
--
Hacksaw

P.S. for those having problems dealing with Micron/Micronics/Phoenix
BIOS Read Error messages, one solution is to get a new motherboard. I
did, and now I am up and running... Yay!
H.