Subject: RE: EtherExpress 16 card - HELP!!
To: 'Dave Roethig' <daver@cs.pdx.edu>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/23/1996 08:15:00
1) In softset.exe, you must set the Memory address to 0xcc000,0xd0000,
0xd4000, or 0xd8000.

2) The address range MUST be have a 32K buffer size, a 16K buffer won't
work. Softset is bad about defaulting or changing the buffer size to 16K
when the address range is changed.

3) Make sure you run the diagnostices in softset.exe.  If the diagnostics
fail, some times you must exit softset.exe and turn off the computer to
let the hardware reset.  Then run softset.exe again and try the
diagnostics.  If the diagnostics passes everything try booting netbsd, if
not try a different configuration.

4) Don't worry about putting a iomem address in you config file, the
Exp16 autodetect routine probs for this information.  So "ie0     at isa?
port 0x360 irq 5" will save you some time.

You seem to be on the right track, I would go after the buffer size, this
has caused me the most grief.  As a matter of fact, I rewrote some of the
exp16 detection code to report to me when I have my buffers set to 16K
instead of 32K.

jam