Subject: Re: No sound from my Gravis Ultrasound...
To: None <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/18/1996 10:56:08
>Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:54:47 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>

>I'm running NetBSD1.1 on my Cyrix 486DX4-100 (actually a DX3-99.9 but
>who's counting) machine.  My GUS is (I think) rev 2.4 and has the 16-bit
>recording daughtercard attached(could this be the source of my problems?).

I doubt the daughtercard affects you at all.  JTK would know for sure,
but AFAIK it just makes your GUS look like a GUS MAX.

>I've got the Ultrasound flag in my /sys/arch/i386/conf/ZCONFCD
>configuration file (from which I compiled the kernel), and when my system
>boots the lines:
>
>gus0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x22f irq 7 drq 1
> <Gravis UltraSound version 3.0, 1024KB DRAM, full-duplex, record drq 6>
>
>appear along with the rest of the system messages, but I can't get my gus
>to produce a sound.
>
>I've tried 'cat'ing various sound formats to /dev/audio with no result.
>Perhaps I should be trying another way?

/dev/audio expects mu-law audio sampled at 8 kHz.

>If anyone can give me some advice or point me in the direction of more
>information on this topic it'd be appreciated.  I can't find anything in
>the man pages or the FAQ about audio or the gus.

I thought the gus.4 manpage made it into 1.1, but maybe it came later
(along with audio.4, &c.).  Try upgrading to -current, see if that
helps.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>