Subject: No sound from my Gravis Ultrasound...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/17/1996 04:54:47
I'm running NetBSD1.1 on my Cyrix 486DX4-100 (actually a DX3-99.9 but
who's counting) machine.  My GUS is (I think) rev 2.4 and has the 16-bit
recording daughtercard attached(could this be the source of my problems?).

I've got the Ultrasound flag in my /sys/arch/i386/conf/ZCONFCD
configuration file (from which I compiled the kernel), and when my system
boots the lines:

gus0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x22f irq 7 drq 1
 <Gravis UltraSound version 3.0, 1024KB DRAM, full-duplex, record drq 6>

appear along with the rest of the system messages, but I can't get my gus
to produce a sound.

I've tried 'cat'ing various sound formats to /dev/audio with no result.
Perhaps I should be trying another way?

If anyone can give me some advice or point me in the direction of more
information on this topic it'd be appreciated.  I can't find anything in
the man pages or the FAQ about audio or the gus.

I've stuck my kernel configuration file and the output of dmesg on the
web at http://weber.u.washington.edu/~czyz/index.html in case they may be
of importance in figuring out the problem.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Zach Fine
czyz@u.washington.edu