Subject: i386 Uprgade from 1.0 --> 1.1: fsck returns "Bus Error."
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aron Roberts <aroberts@wolfenet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/1996 15:32:30
OK i dug the old 386 out of storage and finally got around to upgrading.

Kernel floppy booted fine.
Inserted the upgrade floppy and answered yes to everything.

everything continued normally until fsck failed with "Bus Error"

After rebooting the machine to 1.0 fsck failed during boot (of course)
So I killed the shell went multi user and proceeded to recompile fsck from
the 1.0 sources. Everything *seems* back to normal now.

So, I am considering just formating the drive and installing from scratch,
but I realise that my problems could be bigger than that.

also I may have just f*cked up the upgrade which is entirely possible.

My hardware is

386/33 AMI BIOS
IDE controller manufacutred by SIIG
540MB IDE drive
120MB IDE drive

If I am just lacking clue please point me at the right info, otherwise any
help appreciated.

On a side note downloading everything is a bit of a hassle what with the
1.0 serial drivers. Anyone have something i could compile into  a 1.0
kernel for a fix?

thanks

aron roberts
aroberts@wolfenet.com