Subject: Hanging /etc/netstart
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Liddelow <tim@cst.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/10/1996 11:57:43
Today I've mysteriously run into a hanging 'ifconfig' in /etc/netstart.
This problem only materialised today, after changing network cards.  The
problem is that I must have changed something else because reverting
to the original configuration still exhibits the same problem.  I am
running a current kernel (approx late March) with some userland utils of 1.1
(some current, mostly kvm linking utils).

The line it is hanging on is the line in /etc/netstart:

echo "configuring lo0"
ifconfig lo0 inet localhost

(I know this because of the inserted 'echo' line).

I have to ctrl-c a few daemons to get to a login prompt after ctrl-c this line,
and the route line that follows (route add $hostname localhost).

The funny thing is though that trying this manually as root afterwards
works fine.

I realise that by not having another machine to test -current on, I risk
having out of date userland utils.  This will be hopefully be fixed soon.

My /etc/hosts:

#
# Host Database
# This file should contain the addresses and aliases
# for local hosts that share this file.
# It is used only for "ifconfig" and other operations
# before the nameserver is started.
#
#
127.0.0.1               localhost
#
137.109.64.44           foot.cst.com.au         foot
137.109.64.8            titanic

My /etc/hostname.ed0 (and /etc/hostname.ed2 depending on network card)

inet foot.cst.com.au 0xffffff00

Any help appreciated.  I've gone over named chicken/egg problems, other
things, and I'm out of ideas.

Cheers
Tim.

! Tim Liddelow (http://www.cst.com.au/~tim)                        _--_|\      !
! Software Engineer / Systems Administrator                       /      \     !
! Creative Software Technologies                                  \_.--.*/     !
! Phone:    +61 3 9587 1444          UNIX, C++/OOP, C, X11,             v      !
! email:    tim@cst.com.au           Networking, WWW, consulting               !