Subject: Re: one more thing (Re: More on SCSI timeouts during installation )
To: None <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/06/1996 09:54:48
>Amir Rosenblatt <amir@garpac.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>
>> > Can you try a FreeBSD install disk?  I want to ensure that I've already
>> > fixed your problem in the FreeBSD driver.  The latest snapshot can
>> > be found in ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/...
>>
>> Also, upon probing the card FreeBSD gives me the following message:
>>
>> int line register not set in BIOS
>
>Typically, you have to tell the BIOS which interrupt lines to use for
>PCI devices.  If you don't do this, the BIOS won't properly configure
>them.
>
>You might be able to get away with not configuring the hardware
>correctly under DOS, because most disk activity is polled.

Another data point:  My BIOS has bus master options for each of the 4
PCI slots.  I'v found, by mistake, the some devices will not work, or
will work in odd ways, when they are not made a bus master.  In
particular, my SMC EtherPower would not send packets out and by
BT-946C SCSI controller would just lock the system up.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org