Subject: Re: Using /dev/vnd0* for swap?
To: None <robert@cs.stanford.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/04/1996 18:41:10
>Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:30:52 -0800
>From: Robert Kennedy <robert@Theory.Stanford.EDU>

>The first issue I run up against is that I don't know how to build a
>regular file of the appropriate size. There appears to be no 'mkfile'
>under NetBSD (or any BSD?), so I just 'cat'ted  together enough copies
>of a big file to account for the amount of space I wanted.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=4k count=8k

generates a 32M file o' zeros.

>What am I doing wrong? How can I use vnconfig for its intended
>purpose? Can someone give me an explicit set of steps to follow for
>using a regular file as swap space? Please tell me what man page
>I should have read for this information.

Have you tried using /dev/vnd0b instead of /dev/vnd0a?

swapon may punt unless you add an entry for /dev/vnd0b to
/etc/fstab (I'm not sure about this one).

Does your kernel config support swapping to vnd0?  You need a "swap on
vnd0" in there; the whole line may look something like:

config netbsd root on sd0 swap on sd0 and vnd0 dumps on sd0
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>