Subject: Re: booting a diskless workstation
To: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
From: Kerry Gray <kgray@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/04/1996 16:01:37
On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, John Maier wrote:

> I have poured over the man pages  and have finally figured out how
> diskless workstations work, for the most part.  I have one last problem,
> I think, before I can boot, the swap file.
>
> I have created a swap file, just as the diskless man page instructed.  I
> have finally got the root to seemingly mount, but then the swap appeases
> to die.  I got the error...
> panic: nfs_boot: mountd swap, error=72

I get this too...I was told it was caused by the inability of some nfs
servers to mount a file, expecting to have to mount only directories.

> Before I got the root problem fixed, I got this error mounting the root.
>
> Does the swap need to be exportable via nfs?

Yes, it (or its directory) should be in /etc/exports as well as in
/etc/bootparams

 > Any other ideas or foreseeable problems?

I wonder if taking the 'swapon' out of /etc/rc would keep it from looking
for this swapfile at all?