Subject: Safe to run fingerd as root?
To: None <NetBSD-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/03/1996 22:59:30
My home directory isn't publicly readable, but I want to have a .plan or
.project file.  I've changed identd.conf to run fingerd as root.  Are there
any security problems with this?  I looked over the code, and I can't see
any potential problems, but then what do I know....  This is under 1.0, but
I will be upgrading to 1.1 very soon.

Are there any finger programs that implement logging?  I was going to add
it, but if it's allready out there, why bother...

Thanks,
        Rick
Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                System Admin, Tech Support
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/

root