Subject: Re: problem booting from hard drive after install
To: Tony Linthicum <linth@stumpjumper.mti.sgi.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/01/1996 15:03:37
> i've tried making the secondary controller the primary controller, but
> since i can't disable the in-board primary, this doesn't work.  i have
> not tried having nothing plugged into the primary controller, and the
> drive plugged into the secondary.  i'll give it a shot.

	its certainly worth a try :)

> i'm not sure how it would work without the secondary controller in place.
> i have been told that my in-board primary controller cannot handle seeks
> to the higher cylinders (i assume above 1024).  i got the following message
> when booting from floppy:

	Presumably it must be the _bios_ that cannot handle >1024
	cylinders. Given that it works with the second controller
	attached the hardware must be ok.

	NetBSD only uses the bios to load the initial boot program &
	kernel, so as long as all of partition a lies below 1024 cylinders
	there should be no problem.

>   wd0: using 16-sector 16-bit pio transfers, lba addressing
>
> will the device drivers issue commands to the controller in logical CHS format
> or LBA?  if i were to try to run with the primary controller, what settings
> should i have in the system BIOS at startup?  the drive's default geometry
> is 2114,16,63.

	Set the DOS geometry to the correct number of sectors & tracks
	per cylinder, and the max number of cylinders it allows (1024).

	You may need to use pfdisk to set the real geometry for NetBSD...

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
 >=- OpenBSD http://www.openbsd.org. Free un*x for {sparc,i386,m68k,...} -=<
       <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>