Subject: Serial-line/modem use for dialout?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Kennedy <robert@Theory.Stanford.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/1996 18:08:48
Depending on the issues involved, this may turn out to be more
appropriate for the port-i386 list. Excuse me if this is so.

I have a 486/66 running NetBSD 1.1, and am trying to use the machine
as a dumb terminal to tell my modem to dial a phone number and connect
me to another modem elsewhere in the world.

What software should I use to do this? I thought 'tip' was the right
thing, but it just waits a while, apparently times out, gives me the
message "link down," and exits.

'man tip' is of no help, since it says only that the error messages
are "hopefully self-explanatory".

I made a new line in /etc/remote for com1, since my mouse occupies
com0. I copied the line that came in the installation version of
/etc/remote, and changed com0 to com1 and changed tty00 to tty01. When
I execute the command 'tip com0', the DTR light on the modem comes on,
so I know I'm talking to the correct port. Nothing else happens,
though, until the "link down" message.

I know my cable and connection to the modem are good, because I can
talk to the modem under DOS.

Any ideas?

	-- Robert