Subject: Re: Multisession CD-R
To: Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/24/1996 10:12:29
As Jerry Kendall wrote:

> The exact method of getting the contents to the new hard disk is not
> as important as having more than one partition on the CD... I haver
> ead something about having a MultiVolume MultiSession CD..

To the best of my knowledge, FreeBSD doesn't support reading
multivolume CDs yet.  I've recently made one, but failed to read the
second session on either FreeBSD or MS Winglows (95, FWIW).

There's an urgent demand for it however, and i'm personally interested
in getting this work.

> I have the YAHAMA CD-EXPERT CDE100 Compact Disc Recorder...
>
> The OS of choice for the creation is:
>
> 	MS-Windows with Corel CD CREATER, BSDI 1.X, NetBSD 1.1, FreeBSD 2.1+
> 		and LAST but not least Linux.
>
> What software is needed if the OS is NOT MS-Windows...

FreeBSD-current supports CD-Writers, it does also support them as
multi-session CDs (as you could have guessed from my note above :).
The only ``third-party'' software you need is team(1), a multibuffer
utility.  You need a fairly recent system, which comes with working
WORM support, along with the utility wormcontrol(8).

The code is still considered alpha to beta quality, but is known to
work at least for data CDs.  (I think nobody has been testing against
audio CDs.)

With a reasonably equipped machine, you can burn a CD-R in full
multi-user operation.

The bad point: your Yamaha is not yet supported, only the Plasmon
RF4100 and HP 4020i.  This is simply a matter that one can only
support hardware where one has got access to.

I estimate the amount of work to make the driver ready for the Yamaha
~ 20 hours, including the basic tests.  This assumes that you've got
the SCSI reference manual from them, which might be difficult (unless
they've been changing their policy).  You should point out to them
that all their competitors make it available freely (or at little
cost), for Plasmon or HP, it's available in electronic form on a BBS,
or Web server, resp.

--
cheers, J"org