Subject: Re: Lag on Netstat
To: Rob Hewlett <rhewlett@novalink.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/1996 22:53:54
>On NetBSD 1.1, I am getting a serious lag (on one machine only) when I do a
>netstat command or a w command.  It seems to lag at determining the source
>address on certain sessions, but I cannot seem to pin it down to a specific
>problem.  Has anyone seen this sort of behavior?  I've been through the
>hardware and cabling completely...even switching network cards and
>connections.  The load on the machine is low, and the network activity
>typically low too.  Any help would be appreciated.

This is almost always due to an incorrectly configured DNS, either client-side
(ie - /etc/resolv.conf), or server-side (lame delegations).  Since you say
it happens on only one machine, I'd check your /etc/resolv.conf file on
that machine to make sure it's pointed to the correct nameserver.  Otherwise,
check your DNS to make sure you don't have a lame delegation.

If you're not very familiar with DNS, you could post the address in question
and we could see if the site is configured correctly (assuming that the
DNS zone in question is connected to the Internet).

--Ken