Subject: Printer help for the totally clueless
To: None <Netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Al Urbaitis <Al_Urbaitis@servecom.picker.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/21/1996 08:50:26
Hello All
I am having trouble figuring out what it is I must do to configure
a printer for a system running NetBSD 1.1

System
Amiga 2000
GVP 030 50Mhz
HP DeskJet 500C(connected to the parallel port)
NetBSD 1.1 (Generic Kernel)

Well I tried my hand at the man pages for :
printcap, lpd, lpr, and any referenced man pages.
I tried reading the BSD 4.4 Sys Admin guide :-(

So far I am still WAC (without a clue)

Roughly,
I seem to need a file called /dev/lp.
I do not have one.

And so I have a battery of questions. Cut me off anywhere
but a nudge to enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

1. How does one create files for /dev ?
   caveats
   I am vaguely aware of "make" but I don't know how to use it yet
   I acquired the O'reilly book on "make" but have not read it yet

2. How/where does NetBSD define the parallel port ?
   Maybe this question should be:
   How/where does NetBSD define things hanging on the parallel port ?

3. What should the printcap file look like for a DeskJet 500C ?

Thanx
al