Subject: IDE problems -- NetBSD won't boot
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/1996 10:52:30
	This is yet-another-I-installed-NetBSD-but-it-won't-boot.
I've read the FAQ about this and understand that disk geometry
translation is often the problem with this.  I'm not convinced
that this is the problem, though.

	I'm not seeing the endless reboot cycles symptom.  What
I'm seeing is the spinning baton get about one-eighth of the
way through a rotation and then hanging.

	The disk is a 400-something meg Seagate.  The geometry
is 899/15/62.  The reason that I'm not convinced it's a geometry
translation problem is that I haven't been able to find anything
that says what the other geometry is.  I've run pfdisk, and it
says the geometry is 898/15/62 (although it says the disk starts
at sector 62 -- I'm assuming this is the 1-cylinder difference.)
I've run ide_conf, like the FAQ suggests, and the only thing it
reports (before asking me to reboot) is 899/15/62.

	The system is an el-cheapo 486-DX40.  The IDE controller
is labelled "MT-203S".  The 3"x5" "user's manual" for the card
lists the jumpers, but nothing sticks out as having anything to
do with geometry translation.  There are two jumpers related to
the "harddish", one for enable/disable and the other for
selecting the "harddish model".  The enable/disable does just
that.  The other one has no discernible effect.

	If anyone has any handy suggestions for what to try now,
I'd appreciate them.  I would also appreciate any suggestions
for a specific card to buy to replace it.  I've tried replacing
it with a (very) generic card I borrowed from a friend, but
that one didn't work, either.

Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
Sorcerer's Apprentice, CS Department
University of Tennessee, Knoxville