Subject: Re: Xauthority
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/1996 13:22:22
>Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:37:43 -0500
>From: Wayne Berke <berke@panix.com>

>> > I haven't been able to get the -C flag to work even _with_ the setuid bit
>> > set.  Has anyone?

Um, you *do* have "options UCONSOLE" in your kernel config, right?

>> I've been confused for a while by this console thing on the i386 port with
>> multiple vty's.  On SunOS, for example, when I log into the machine, I log
>> into /dev/console and the login program automatically gives me ownership of
>> /dev/console.  On NetBSD/i386 one doesn't log into /dev/console but
>> /dev/vty0.  Somehow console messages end up on vty #0, but the two devices
>> are not the same.

SunOS has /etc/fbtab, which controls changes in device ownership made
by /bin/login and getty.  NetBSD doesn't, although it has been
discussed (briefly).

Also, /dev/ttyv[0-3] are the console devices.  /dev/vty0 is something
else (master for /dev/ttyp0).

>> So, who should be able to write to /dev/console?  Are there any security
>> implications?  Anyone have a clear picture of how this should work?

Why would you want to write to /dev/console?  That's what syslog() is
for.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel