Subject: Re: Xauthority
To: Wayne Berke <berke@panix.com>
From: Tom Pavel <PAVEL@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/1996 11:48:12

> I haven't been able to get the -C flag to work even _with_ the setuid bit
> set.  Has anyone?

Yes.  Actually, it was sort of accidental, but I just set up my system to
start xdm at boot time.  When I added the GiveConsole script (which does a
chown on /dev/console), my "xterm -C" suddenly started catching the console
messages.

I've been confused for a while by this console thing on the i386 port with
multiple vty's.  On SunOS, for example, when I log into the machine, I log
into /dev/console and the login program automatically gives me ownership of
/dev/console.  On NetBSD/i386 one doesn't log into /dev/console but
/dev/vty0.  Somehow console messages end up on vty #0, but the two devices
are not the same.
So, who should be able to write to /dev/console?  Are there any security
implications?  Anyone have a clear picture of how this should work?

Tom Pavel

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
pavel@slac.stanford.edu                 http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~pavel/