Subject: Re: Xauthority
To: Wayne Berke <berke@panix.com>
From: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/1996 11:57:07
> I haven't been able to get the -C flag to work even _with_ the setuid bit
> set.  Has anyone?

note what xterm's manual page says about -C:

       -C      This option  indicates  that  this  window  should
               receive  console output.  This is not supported on
               all systems.  To obtain console output,  you  must
               be  the  owner of the console device, and you must
               have read and write permission for it.  If you are
               running  X under xdm on the console screen you may
               need to have the session startup  and  reset  pro-
               grams  explicitly change the ownership of the con-
               sole device in order to get this option to work.

In particular, note the "you muse be owner of the console device."

On one of my NetBSD/Alpha boxes i just checked:

	with /dev/console owned by root.wheel, i ran xterm -C

	wich /dev/console owned by cgd.wheel, i ran xterm -C

the first didn't show console output, the second did.

I can think of easy ways to accomplish the 'chown' of /dev/console, if
you're using xdm.  if you're using login+xinit (or whatever), it may
be harder...  but something like (but not exactly like 8-) sun's
/etc/fbtab would be nice.

cgd