Subject: Re: Xauthority
To: netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/1996 09:28:45
> Depending on the system, xconsole might need to do some root-like stuff (I
> don't think it does on NetBSD, though).

Well, it seems like the TIOCCONS ioctl fails with "Operation Not Permitted"
if you're not root, which explains why xconsole doesn't work if it's not setuid
root. (wouldn't it be possible to have TIOCCONS work for any user as long as he
owns the console ?)

> For xterm, it needs to be setuid
> for a bunch of reasons, one of which is so it can chown your pty to your
> userid, otherwise there are some kinda-nasty security holes available there.

Well I have changed my xterm's permission to 0755 and it works fine. Only
detail that doesn't seem to work (obviously) is the "-C" flag. But since I use
xconsole for that, it's not big deal.

	Stefan