Subject: Re: A question about bpf* devices...
To: Jason W. Fogt, WWC RCA <jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu>
From: Yoshihisa SUGIMOTO <sugimoto@sums.shiga-med.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/10/1996 21:12:57
At  0:26 AM 96.2.9 -0600, Jason W. Fogt, WWC RCA wrote:
>I noticed that NetBSD defaults to bpf0, bpf1, bpf2, etc.  How far exactly
>can I carry this on ?  Can I go to bpfz ?  Or could I start on 2 digit
>devices like bpf11, bpfa1, etc. ?

I hear that CAP needs at least 16 bpf's. Most of current kernels have only
12 bpf's in it. So you have to recompile a kernel with 16 bpfilters.

pseudo-device   bpfilter        16

After a new kernel starts to run, you can make devices /dev/bpf0 to
/dev/bpf15.

CAP patch level 195 supports Net/FreeBSD and can be compiled
straigbtforwardly.

Yoshihisa SUGIMOTO, M.D., Ph. D. - sugimoto@sums.shiga-med.ac.jp
Department of Medicine I / Medical Information Center
Shiga University of Medical Science, Shiga, JAPAN
Tel +81-775-48-2213  FAX +81-775-43-5839