Subject: Swap/Memory Utilization questions
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alex R.N. Wetmore <alexw+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/06/1996 14:56:59
I'm getting pretty terrible performance on one of my machines these days
and noticed that top was reporting memory utilization as:
Memory: 1468K Act 720K Inact 4044K Wired 292K Free 51% Swap

The 4044K Wired statistic bothers me a lot.  I was wondering if:
a) there is another tool that will report this statistic so that I can
   make sure top isn't lying (looking through vmstat, pstat, and ps I
   couldn't find anything).  I'm using stock top-3.3 compiled for
   NetBSD 1.0

b) if there was something to get wired memory usage by process (so I
   could figure out what could be causing this)

c) If anyone has any ideas about what could be causing this.

System is:
486sx/25, NetBSD 1.0 (not 1.1!), 8 megs real memory, 1 gig SCSI disk
hanging off of 1542C with 128 megs of swap.  It mostly runs as an
email server, also runs httpd, a variety of bulletin boards, a gopher
server, sshd, and some other stuff.

Finally, I'm running AFS on here.  Is there a chance that AFS is wiring
down this much memory?  Its AFS 3.3 rev 1.17.

Any suggestions would be great.

thanks,
alex