Subject: xdm crashes when it restarts
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joel Reicher <joel@adacel.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/1995 11:58:32
Every now and again, xdm crashes when I log out and the xsession ends.
When the xsession ends, xdm appears to close down ok, because the text bootup
screen comes back, and then begin to start up again, because the display
changes to graphics mode. But sometimes it doesn't complete the startup, and
goes back to the bootup screen leaving me without a console. It doesn't even
get as far as displaying the background.

I've had a look at the core dump it generates every time it happens and it's
always a floating point exception. It's intermittent, so I can't pin down
what's doing it. My hardware is:

486-dx4 100
#9 Fx Motion 531 PCI
Gravis Ultrasound
Western Digital Caviar IDE 640 Mb
Silicon Integrated Systems PCI/VLB/ISA motherboard

I'm also running NetBSD 1.1, and am using XFree86 3.1.2 that was compiled for
1.0, so I'm using the ap-current aperture driver.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Could anyone give me some hints as to how I may pinpoint the problem?

Thanks in advance,
	Joel Reicher