Subject: More problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.leg.ufrj.br>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/20/1995 12:05:14
Hello, everyone.

After having been annoyed by an improper kernel for a couple of weeks
without successfully compiling a new one I finally did it this weekend.

As one can never be happy all time, now my disk is reporting bad
sectors and, due to this, my machine is hanging from time to time and
sync at reboot never succeeds, halting the machine as well.

I have already tried to fix it with both 'bad144' and 'badsect' but
none of them is working.  Bad144 seems to have all its 126 entries
full of garbage (all of them refer to sectors far beyond my disk's
geometry would have), not allowing me to add the only two I'd need
for it to work again (I hope).  Badsect always report me "Device
busy" when I try to use it according to the man page.

Is there any way to clear the useless bad144 entries?  Where are them
located?  Is it better to use bad144 instead of badsect?  Is badsect
man page wrong?

My computer is a 486dx2-66, 340Mb IDE, 3.5" and 5.25" FDs, 2Mb Cirrus
Logic VLB SVGA.

Thanks in advance.

	pappires@vortex.leg.ufrj.br