Subject: Re: Mbone Applications for NetBSD
To: None <hari@dworkin.wustl.edu>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/09/1995 17:54:33
> Have any of the Mbone applications like vat and nv
> been ported to NetBSD/i386 ? And if so, which
> audio and video cards are supported?
> I have not been able to find this information on the
> NetBSD Web Server, or on any NetBSD mailing list.

Hi, we recently did a compile of vic 2.7 alpha31 on i386.  Note
that this is to provide a "receive-only" version, we've not
looked at doing any video transmitter yet.  According to the
notes distributed with VIC there is a Matrox PCI video capture
card working under FreeBSD which could hopefully be made to work
on NetBSD as well.

You can take a peek in

	ftp://ftp.pvv.unit.no/store/store/ernie/vic/

The binaries for NetBSD/i386 can be found in the ver-2.7a31
subdirectory tree.  To run the dynamically linked version of vic
you'll need recent versions of the tk and tcl libraries and an
unofficial version of the BLT library.  They can be found in

	ftp://ftp.pvv.unit.no/store/store/ernie/blt/ver-1.8/
	ftp://ftp.pvv.unit.no/store/store/ernie/tk/ver-4.0/
	ftp://ftp.pvv.unit.no/store/store/ernie/tcl/ver-7.4/

There are a couple of caveats here:

1) The tk 4.0 library won't be found by ld.so unless you fix it
   (see below) due to the naming convention used by tk 4.0 to
   name it's shared object libraries.

2) The external interface of blt version 1.8 has changed, and the
   major library version number should be increased.  This is
   however unofficial code not published by it's maintainer, and
   the one who made it work with tk 4.0 didn't want to increase
   the major version number by himself.  This may cause older
   programs linked with BLT shared library version 1.7 to fail.

3) The binaries have been compiled with --prefix=3D/store.  This is
   of course fixable with a symlink to wherever you choose to
   install them.

4) The vic code is still in alpha test.

5) When you install a new minor version of a dynamic library,
   programs linked with the old minor version will fail due to a
   bug or misfeature in ldconfig/ld.so (it uses the minor version
   number when creating it's hash, it shouldn't).  This is
   fixable (see below).

The ld.so and ldconfig bugs can be fixed by applying

ftp://ftp.unit.no/pub/NetBSD/local-patches/NetBSD-1.0/ld.diff

See

ftp://ftp.unit.no/pub/NetBSD/local-patches/NetBSD-1.0/README.patches

for further explanation of the other patches in that directory.

- H=E5vard