Subject: 1.1 keyboard probs on GigaByte GA-486AM/AMS m/b
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/05/1995 08:49:23
I recently purchased a GigaByte GA-486AM/AMS PCI/ISA motherboard to
make a NetBSD 1.1/Xterminal. After the usual setup and test (under
DOS, etc), I started to install NetBSD-1.1.

The problem is that every third or fourth time that I press return (or
^M or even ^J), it enters it twice. This makes using the install
script impossible, because some of the fields get default or empty
values.

I'm not sure if it's an explicit problem in the motherboard hardware.
The BIOS is unusual in that it's the first BIOS I've seen in the last
few years that *doesn't* have a 'typematic rate option' (which I
always leave disabled when it is available anyway.) I've tried
different keyboards, to no avail.

I'm willing to take the motherboard back (and replace it with an ASUS
PCI-SP3G if I can find one, or PVI-SP3 otherwise), but if it's just
a matter of hacking some constant in pccons.c, then I'll try that first.
Any ideas?

PS: the problem doesn't occur on another machine, or under DOS on the
same machine.

--
Luke Mewburn <luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>

"Think of it as Evolution in Action"      -- `Oath of Fealty', Niven & Pournelle