Subject: ncr SCSI "medium error" - how to fix?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Willey <willey@hillres155.cc.purdue.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/03/1995 05:11:47
System:
P-100 running NetBSD-1.1/i386
PCI ncr SCSI card, quantum lightning 730mb drive

I get this error when trying to access certain files:

(in red - a kernel message)
sd0(ncr0:0:0): medium error, info=1309673(decimal), data = 00 00 00 00 aa
00 00 00 00 00
(in black, fsck error)
/dev/rsc0e: CANNOT READ: BLK 1049312

And when I cat "badfile > /dev/null", I get similar errors.  This is on my
X11R6/bin directory (I renamed it to .badblocks and restored the data).

My question is:

1) how did this happen?
2) how can I fix it?

is that what I hear called "bad blocks" and how do I go about remapping
these blocks to be marked as bad.  Can I salvage the space, and can I
reformat, with that block marked bad, and then go on as usual?  Or...  do I
need to get a new drive.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Mark