Subject: Re: lpr buffer size limit
To: None <kgray@netcom.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/20/1995 19:51:20
>Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 08:21:47 -0800 (PST)
>From: Kerry Gray <kgray@netcom.com>

>When I try to queue large files ( > 1Meg ) to print via lpr, I get the
>message, 'copy file too large,' at which point only the first 1 Meg of
>the file is queued.
>
>What is the rationale behind this apparently arbrtrary limit?  How can I
>change it?  Yes, I could modify the source, but I am hoping there is some
>admin thing I can do to raise the limit that will survive the next
>software update.

The rationale is to keep malicious users from spewing large amounts
of garbageola to your printer, and/or filling up your /var partition.
I believe the default was chosen before Postscript became popular. :-)

You can eliminate the restriction by adding :mx#0: to the entry for
your printer in /etc/printcap.  See printcap(5) for further details.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));