Subject: Re: cdrom question
To: None <graphix@iastate.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/18/1995 17:52:30
>Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 16:22:17 CST
>From: Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>

>  Perhaps someone can protect me from purchasing a cdrom drive that can
>not be used with NetBSD.  The two cdrom drives that I am interested in
>are both manufactured by NEC and are quad speed types.  One is IDE
>(EIDE?) and can internally support 4 cds the second is SCSI and can
>internally 7 cds.  I guess my questions are:
>
>  * can they be used with netbsd?

Yes for the SCSI drive, no for the EIDE.

>  * can one switch between disks?  If it has to be done with those
>    buttons on the front that is fine.

Make sure you unmount them first. :-)

It all depends on how the drive is designed.  It may be as simple as
using another LUN, or you may need to send it a special SCSI command.

You may want to look into the SCSI "ch" device.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));