Subject: Re: More on sup
To: Kent S. Gordon <kgor@ksg.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/03/1995 09:37:07
Kent Gordon writes:
> I use mirror instead of sup to avoid these problems as it will allow
> the pulling site to customize which directories to get instead of only
> the combinations that are defined by sup..

> The latest version of mirror is available from:
> 	src.doc.ic.ac.uk [146.169.2.1]
> 		directory: computing/archiving/mirror
> 		(shortcut packages/mirror)
>         ftp.th-darmstadt.de [130.83.55.75]
>         	directory: pub/networking/mirror
> 	ftp.sun.ac.za [146.232.212.2]
> 		directory: pub/packages/mirror

Mirror is good, but has some problems (v2.3 anyway):
- bad support for SOCKS firewalls (I've fixed this, but it's not
  an issue for me anymore)
- proxy ftp support needs a little work to get it going correctly
  (for fwtk or other proxy ftp firewalls)
- no support for 'remote account's (needed to mirror sunsolve stuff)
  I've put this in too.
- I didn't get any response from the maintainer in any of my mail
  to fix the above problems. I get the feeling that it's not maintained
  anymore...
- the mirror mailing list didn't work for me when I subscribed

--
Luke Mewburn <luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>
(Janov) Pelorat said, "It seems to me, Golan, that the advance of civilization