Subject: Won't boot 1.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <brown@cards.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/01/1995 08:23:03
Hi All,

  I finally got around to installing netbsd on my mac.  I have a mac SE/30 5/80
with an MICRON Exceed 8 bit card w/ grayscale adaptor.  I have a zip drive also.  I
formatted and partitioned my zip cartridge to 65 meg. Root&Usr, 25 meg. Swap, and 5
meg as a Mac HFS.  Next I ran MKFS on the Root&Usr partition.  I used the
following options:
    512 Sector Size
    512 Block Size
    512 Sector Size (hardware)
     40 sectors/track         (MKFS default)
      8 tracks/cylinder
    416 cylinders
      8 cylinders/group
      0 free sectors/track
   2048 bytes/inode
 133120 partition size

  After installing the base10 and netbsd, I built the devices.  No problems, yet.  I
restarted my mac with all extensions OFF and ran the booter v.1.6 with the following
  ON  Single User Mode
  ON  Gray bars
  ON  Serial Console Echo
  OFF Serial Console

      SCSI ID 5
      Kernal location (NetBSD mac) I think was the name, It wasn't MacOS
      Kernal name     netbsd
      located on      Root&Usr

  I don't recall the rest of the options or their names at the moment, I'm at work now.

  When I boot netbsd, I get the following output:

  Booting...MD M68K executable:entry 0x249e
  507356(0x0) 42720+96584+35916+37440
  Bye-Bye...
    So I sez to him ...  the real
  way that it should be done is to:
  Ser Console=0

< FROZEN MACHINE >

  I tried the booter again and checked to be sure 32 bit addressing was on, pixel
depth was 1, and all extensions were off.  I put Ser Console=0 in the boot options
box, same error again.

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

   thanks Doug

--