Subject: Want to start PPP
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Webmaster Jim <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/01/1995 18:32:35
My local public library/internet service provider has begun testing
PPP service.  I want to use my NetBSD 1.0A-i386 box to connect
through them when it's up.  I have two questions:

Could someone give me a thumbnail sketch of how to use pppd and
chat to start the link?  I have read the man pages and know the
theory; what are the practical steps?  The remote host does not
seem to have `pppd' but it is a Sun Sparcstation, so it's not all
bad (just not NetBSD :-(.

Given that my box normally connects to an inhouse internetwork that
I know would prefer to remain aloof from the real world, how could
I set up the connection so that my Ethernet card is disabled
(ifconfig down?) in order to ensure that no packets leak from the
PPP line to the twisted pair line?  I know that physically pulling
the cable is an option, but I prefer to automate this so I don't
forget...  Also, since the building IP addresses are different than
the ISP addresses, I assume I need to do something to switch contexts
(domain names, name servers, subnet & gateways masks, etc).

Thanks!