Subject: help mounting all DOS second drive
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas J. Trebisky <tom@as.arizona.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/28/1995 10:57:29
I am running NetBSD 1.0 on my i386 system.  Presently I have a 540M
IDE drive, with a very small MSDOS partition that I mount on /dos.

I was just handed a second 540M ide drive, which I cabled onto my
system, just all the jumpers set up fine, and DOS sees it as a D:
drive.  NetBSD knows it is there (it finds it as wd1 during the
startup probe and announces it properly).

The condition under which I was given this drive was, that I would backup
all the DOS stuff on it to tape, and give the tape to the prior
owner.  I said "No sweat", we'll just slap it on my system, mount
it up and tar the mess over the network to one of our exabyte drives
and that should take an hour or so......

Now, 2 days later, I am not too much closer to a solution, the problem
being that I cannot just dos mount wd1d, since I need to offset it a
track from the start of the disk to get around the MBR and such to the
start of the actual DOS stuff.  And being an all-DOS drive, there is
no BSD style disk label anywhere on it to define partition info.

Surely I am not the first person to want to do this.  In fact I did
see a person asking the same question on this  list a few months ago
(but sadly no replies made it to the list).  If someone can save me
some time with a tip or two, I would really appreciate it.

At this point, I am contemplating 2 possible approaches.
The first is to hack the wd.c driver and hot-wire an ad-hoc
partition table in for a drive that has no BSD disk label.
The second is to hack the mount_msdos command to provide an
offset in sectors.  Studying the source code to ponder ways to
solve this is a great learning exercise, (and finally I am getting
around to rebuilding a kernel), but there must be a better way....

Thanks in advance,

	Tom
--
	Tom Trebisky			Steward Observatory