Subject: Re: Where to get Xm inckludes/libraries
To: Scott R. Burns <Scott.Burns@labatt.com>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/27/1995 04:56:17
Verily did Scott R. Burns write:

> Well I tried all the news groups with no luck, so I thought the NetBSD gods
> might be able to shine some light on this one.

> Firstly, I am on NetBSD V1.0a (June 24th or so). I downloaded the XFree86
> V3.1.1 for NetBSD and it is running fine. Now I wanted a different Window
> manager and everyone on the News groups said fvwm. Fine. It appears to
> need xpm, which I found out was pixmap so I got V2.6 from ftp.x.org. But,
> pixmap needs Xm (the motif toolkit I think ?).

> Anyway, at least what I downloaded from XFree86 did not contain Xm, did I
> miss a kit with it in or do I need to get it from somewhere and build it
> like pixmap ?

hmm.. I haven't seen xpm requiring Motif.

Also, xpm is somewhere around v3.4c when I installed it, so either you
scrounged a seriously old version, or you grabbed the wrong thing thinking
it was xpm.

xpm-3.4c is available at: ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/libraries/xpm-3.4c.tar.gz

Compiling it is a simple "xmkmf -a ; make" and then shuffle the files
into place.

My installation notes for this is available at:

   http://pobox.com/~windsor/netbsd/install-notes/xpm-3.4c.notes

My index of installation notes is available at:

   http://pobox.com/~windsor/netbsd/install-notes/

Notice use of pobox.com.  Currently, my web things reside on www.ksu.edu,
but I am moving at the end of this month (yay!), so these are guaranteed
to move before October.  If you keep pointing your handy web browser at
http://pobox.com/~windsor/, then you won't notice the move.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'