Subject: need help with ppp/chat script
To: NetBSD-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Tamola <masarap@u.washington.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/24/1995 20:41:13
dear all,

i am having some trouble getting chat to work with pppd.  i have already
tried a pppd/kermit mix, and it works great.  in fact i am doing e-mail
over my ppp line right now.  i just wish i could automate everything by
typing "pppd."

here is my /etc/ppp/options file:

/dev/tty03
19200
crtscts
connect 'chat "" ATZ OK ATDT*70,6855599 CONNECT \n rname: name ssword:
password >> ppp'
noipdefault
defaultroute

basically, what i need to do is dial in, then hit a carriage return to
get a Username: prompt, then enter the name, what for the password
prompt, enter the password, then wait for a ">>" prompt, then enter ppp.
whenever i start up pppd, it dies with:

chat: unrecognized command "ATZ"

so, obviously it must be the syntax of my script.  however, i read the
man pages and a couple of examples from people, and my script looks
exactly like the examples from both!  please tell me there's a stupid
mistake i made.

oh, btw, i am running netbsd-1.0/i386 w/o patches.  thanks for any help.

ingat ka,

-m