Subject: Re: name service
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/14/1995 10:25:50
>It sure seems like a LOT of local name servers are doing something Very
>Wrong, then, and only for the netbsd.org domain.  I have never had
>either of these problems with ANY other domain on either of the systems.
>How come these broken name servers are only broken when dealing with
>NetBSD.ORG?

I'm not in not in a position at the moment to try my better system, but doc
(Domain Obscenity Checker) running under bind-4.9.2 does report a
delegation error for netbsd.org. - specifically that the nameserver list
from the org servers doesn't correspond with that for the netbsd.org
authoritative servers (sun-lamp.pc.cs.cmu.edu is listed amongst those but
not under netbsd.org. for any of the authoritative org servers).

Anyway it might be worth a quick check.

cheers,
Danny Thomas  (D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au)

who's hoping the next release includes bind-4.9.3 along with associated
checking tools like doc & dnswalk and an admonition to use them. A lot of
people in Australia are complaining about the time it takes for domains to
be registered, but a large fraction of the delays occur when these people
haven't set up their side properly. Tools to verify domain configuration
would be an all-round win - a bit like the benefits of using prototypes &
lint.