Subject: Re: name service
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/1995 18:06:26
In article <199507131507.LAA25156@pain.lcs.mit.edu>,
Chris G Demetriou  <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU> wrote:
> > If I run a script in the background that calls "nslookup
> > www.netbsd.org" ever three minutes the name never goes away.
> > Otherwise gethostbyname() spontaniously fails.
>
> I have never, ever had problems similar to the ones that you describe,
> on any host that i've tried to access any 'netbsd.org' hostname from.

Well, I sure have, on two different machines. It used to be that
resolves on NetBSD.ORG in anything but exact case would fail, although
once one with the correct case is resolved, the local cache would
correctly respond to either case.

Now I see the behavior he sees.

> It sounds like your local name server is doing something Very Wrong.

It sure seems like a LOT of local name servers are doing something Very
Wrong, then, and only for the netbsd.org domain.  I have never had
either of these problems with ANY other domain on either of the systems.
How come these broken name servers are only broken when dealing with
NetBSD.ORG?