Subject: Re: name service
To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@owl.dol-esa.gov>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/1995 13:11:07
>Are *absolutely sure* that the name service for www.netbsd.org,
>ftp.netbsd.org and sup.netbsd.org are done right?
>[..]
>If I run a script in the background that calls "nslookup
>www.netbsd.org" ever three minutes the name never goes away.
>Otherwise gethostbyname() spontaniously fails.
>
>It's not just my code.  Telnet, ftp, rlogin, lynx all get the same
>error.

We _used_ to have problems like this with netbsd.org, but that was with an
older version of BIND (4.9.2.something).  We recently upgraded to 4.9.3.BETA17
and everything went away (including some other weird nameserver oddities).

I suspect something about the netbsd.org domain ticked a bug in older BINDs.

What version of BIND are you running?

--Ken