Subject: Re: Compiling XView for X11R6
To: None <dmaddox@scsn.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/10/1995 01:55:11
On Sun, 9 Jul 1995, Donald J. Maddox wrote:
> I know some of you have successfully compiled this, so hopefully one
> (or more) of you will be kind enough to point out what my problem is.
>
> When trying to build XView for R6, the Makefile produced by imake
> fails with the following:
>
> "Makefile", line 503: Unassociated shell command "XVCLIENTSYSDEFINES ="
> "Makefile", line 505: Unassociated shell command "XVCLIENTI18NDEFINES "
> "Makefile", line 506: Unassociated shell command "XVCLIENTMISCLIB ="
> "Makefile", line 507: Unassociated shell command "XVCLIENTINCLUDES ="
> "Makefile", line 509: Unassociated shell command "XVCLIENTDEFINES = $("
> Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

Those lines have tabs in front instead of spaces, which make apparently
doesn't like. If you edit config/XView.tmpl (I think) and replace the tab
with a couple of spaces, it should start working.

However, I tried to build XView earlier today, and there are many more
problems... some of the Imakefiles have lines that end in "\ " instead of
"\", which also messes things up. And even if the Makefiles are OK, the
actual compile doesn't work... So, anyone got diffs for NetBSD? :)

I actually managed to get everything to compile (and link? ld gave a
couple of messages along the lines of "filter.o: must reference global
symbol 0x1234" while linking libxview.so.*). I don't know if it works
though; I did the compile remotely over a dialup connection, and won't be
able to try it out until I go to the office tomorrow.

In any case, I have my doubts about whether it'll work...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 19 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++