Subject: Re: Using a DAT drive on NetBSD 1.0
To: John D. Smerdon <jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/06/1995 11:43:15
> I recently acquired a Sony DDS-2 DAT drive for a NetBSD i386 1.0pl6 system.

> I looked at the dump/restore command and started a dump of /home that was
> about 50 MB.  dump then asked for another tape.  The DAT tape is supposed
> to hold 2 to 4 GB with compression so I must be doing something wrong. :-)

> What density/length combination is used to describe a 120 meter DDS-2 DAT?

Just use 'B' with 2000000 or 4000000 or whatever. E.g.
	dump 0Bf 2000000 /dev/nrst0 /home

> Is dump/restore the standard way to backup the system or are there other
> utilities that I should look at?

They're as good as any other. dump is the fastest way, but is highly specific
to the filesystem format (and possibly even endianess). gnu tar (the tar
under NetBSD) is also reasonable.

--
Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>

Lawyers - the only group for which ignorance of the law is not a crime - anon