Subject: Re: PPPD
To: None <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/04/1995 08:42:54
> Use 'ifconfig -a' to see if you have any ppp interfaces.  If not, add
> to your kernel config file:
>
> pseudo-device	ppp	1		# PPP
>
> Reconfig, rebuild, and reboot with your new kernel.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if at least some of the more useful devices
(pseudo too) were around as LKM's ?

Has anyone hacked the -current sources to allow for any of the standard
drivers to use LKM ? This would mean that next time I am stuck and can
only use PPP with an INSTALL kernel I don't have to go away and start
building kernel images and moving them about by floppy...

Is anyone actually interested in doing something like (yuck) Solaris
with boot time loadable modules for most of the kernel. The sources
are very intertwined with lots of #ifdef's ... at the moment, but
I would guess that it would be somehow possible to get alot of the
unused stuff out of the standard kernel and load-on-demand (misc
fs's, various network drivers etc).

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org