Subject: Re: same sh*t, different day (display problems,Building config, modem , probelms)
To: None <aron@c2.org>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/1995 19:59:22
>Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 12:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
>From: aron roberts <aron@c2.org>

>actually I have a 1.0 kernel and 1.0 source tree, sorry i forgot to
>mention that.

OK, most of what I said goes out the window, then.  The directions I
gave you were based on my assumption that you were at 1.0 and wanted
to upgrade to -current.  Since that's not the case, I'll start over.
None of the stuff I told you to do, however, should have been harmful;
you only reinstalled the same files that were already there.

>> cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config; make && make install
>
>i was thwarted here yet again. This time make tells me it doesn't know
>how to build /usr/lib/crt0.o or some such. Nosing around of course turned

If crt0.o is missing, then your 1.0 installation broke down somewhere.
Did you install all of the installation sets?  Specifically, did you
install the comp10.* set?

If your system initially had 0.9 on it, then after you install 1.0 you
should roam around your filesystem and delete binaries and manpages
that are older than those you just installed.  Do the same for
libraries after you make sure that nothing in e.g. /usr/local/bin uses
them.  Do a 'MAKEDEV all' and delete any old entries in /dev.  Before
you install /usr/include, you should delete the old one to keep old
headers from hanging around.

>In the mean time i have just been mounting an empty floppy drive to dump
>enough crap to my screen to cure my screwed up console. It's ugly and
>annoying but it will do until i can recompile the kernel.

If you have something similar to the Infamous Gateway2K Keyboard
Problem, then banging on the keyboard during autoconfig may also work.
(The IGKP has also been fixed in -current's pccons, but you have to
use a -current kernel to take advantage of that.)

>Now my latest problem involves, despite following the instructions in the
>faq (to the bestof my knowledge) not being able to get either of my
>modems to work. One of which is an internal USR Sportster 14.4 and the
>other of which is an external Hayes Smartmodem 9600.
>
>the USR is on com2 (dos COM3) irq 5
>the hayes i plug into com1 (dos com2) irq 3

>I ran MAKEDEV but it doesn't seem to want to make links to the ttys or
>make cua devices.

The comX -> tty0X links went away before 1.0 was released.  See what I
said above about old /dev entries...

NetBSD-1.0 (nor -current, for that matter) does not support cua devices.

>Now I've edited /etc/remote to run tip. And when attempting to connect to
>the port it either sits for a while and reports 'link down' or sits there
>in a hellish limbo from which i haven't managed to return sucessfully.

tip is brain-dead, and I avoid it.

>and yes i have used stty to have it ignore the carrier detect

This won't work, because as soon as stty exits, it closes the tty.
The tty then resets itself to its defaults, which include -clocal!

Use the ttyflags(8) program.  The solution to your modem problems may
be as simple as adding the keyword 'local' to the end of the lines for
tty02 and tty01 in your /etc/ttys and running:

ttyflags -a

>So I am beginning to believe i may just have evil hardware. Since no one
>else seems to have these problems, that or i am just exceedingly dense
>(which is entirely possible).

Try building C-Kermit 5A(190), using the netbsd Makefile target.  If
neither modem works with the 'local' flags in your /etc/ttys and
C-Kermit, then I'd be willing to admit that you have evil hardware.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));