Subject: Re: netbsd and NCSA telnet seem to be ad odds with each other, any ideas?
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Seppo Kallio <kallio@jyu.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/1995 10:16:30
>        I'm trying to use NetBSD 0.9A and 1.0 (I386 version, but that's
>probably
>not important) with NCSA telnet version2.3.06 and 2.3.08.  The problem I'm
>having is that NCSA telnet can only seem to negotiate line mode with
>NetBSD.  Characters don't seem to get transmitted until one presses the
>return key on the NCSA telnet machine and thus interactive single-keystroke
>programs like lynx, pine, and vi get unhappy in a hurry.  I've tried
>turning on kludgelinemode on the netbsd telnet server, but this didn't make
>a difference.  Note also that NCSA telnet for the Macintosh seems to work
>fine.

Version 2.6 NCSA Telnet for Macintosh has similar problem:

If I connect directly from my Mac to NetBSD (1.0) or FreeBSD (2.0.5) it
works until I go to emacs or vi and make Control-z. After that connection
is in line mode (even if I go back to emacs with fg).

If I first login into other host (SunOS) and then telnet to NetBSD or
FreeBSD machine, I do not have this problem.  It also seems that version
2.5 of NCSA Telnet (Mac) does not have this problem.

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !