Subject: Installing NetBSD-1.0 on ST3660A
To: Tomas Whitlock <txw@tardis.ed.ac.uk>
From: Torsten Duwe (Emacs) <duwe@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/29/1995 21:59:39
[...]
    TW> I think this is because the disk is in LBA (logical block addressing)
    TW> mode, since its physical geometry is 1057 cyl, 16 hd & 63 sec. In LBA
    TW> mode, the BIOS reports 528 cyl, 32 hd and 63 sec
[...]
    TW> Is it possible to install NetBSD-1.0 on a LBA mode disk?  If not,
    TW> would it work if LBA was turned off? I think this would mean the last
    TW> 34 cylinders would be unusable.

I don't have the 1.0 sources handy, but -current seems to support
LBA. Anyway, if you plan to use NetBSD on that disk permanently and LBA is
causing you install problems I suggest you turn it off. The 1024 cylinder
limit lies solely in the BIOS interface, which is only used by MS-DOG and the
boot loaders of most real operating systems. The boot loader needs to read
the OS kernel off the disk, which contains the OS driver for the WD1003
(a.k.a IDE) disk interface, which allows cylinder numbers up to 65535, so you
can use the last 34 cylinders as well. Just make sure your root partition
ends before cylinder 1024 so the kernel can be read via the BIOS.

	Torsten