Subject: NETBSD 1.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johnny Mo <PC123!JOHNNY@stdgroup.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/09/1995 14:29:00
Hi folks,

Pls don't flame me.. I'm someone who hasn't touched Un*x OS and doesn't
know of anyone who could help me (that's around here)...

I'm a newbie on this...  I have the CD-ROM version (BSDisc) from infomagic
and I can't seem to be able to find anywhere step by step instructions
for the full installations of BSD.

I've gone out and purchased 4.4BSD System Manager's manual and the user's
reference manual.  I've looked at the books, lots of docs and texts on the
CD and no where can I find proper installation instructions for a i386
machine.

I'm running on a Pentium 90MHz machine with a scsi CD-ROM.
I was able to extract all the files and copied the kernel over.

My problem that I'm having now (because I can't find it anywhere in the
docs) is that when I log in as root, I can't do commands such as ADDUSER
I also get myname# as a prompt, and when I change the file hosts it gives
me an error.

I figure I'm not building or compiling or installing something...
I know I've been spoiled with DOS & Windows but I'm not giving up with Un*x
.. I really want to master BSD and Linux and would appreciate any help you
can give me.  If you have proper instructions or constructive advice pls
EMail me.

Much Thanks in Advance!

Humbly asking,

Johnny@stdgroup.com