Subject: Network booting?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/05/1995 11:02:02
In message <199505050001.UAA02963@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>, der Mouse writes:

[Deleted]

> really intended to be release-ready yet.  It's also possible that I've
> made some assumptions about diskless booting that are not generally
> valid, because I've seen NetBSD boot diskless on only the sun3 and
> sparc ports.  (Essentially, I assume that the machine comes up with its
> hostname set, its principal network interface configured enough to talk
> to its server, and knowing where its root is mounted from.)

Ok, I thought that I had diskless booting down pat by now.  However, the
kernel never seems to be invoked by the netboot program.  Can anyone who
has a NetBSD-1.0/i386 box booting over the network with 'dosload', and
boot.bin from /sys/arch/i386/netboot, please tell me what they had to do
in order to get this working.  I'd be most gratefull...

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru? Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |