Subject: Helpme...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCMiYhIUo4WnYbKEI=?= <GHB03216@niftyserve.or.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/1995 19:01:00
Dear Sir,

I'm an international student now living in Japan. I bought a CD published by
InfoMagic Inc. a couple months ago. The CD includes 3 version of unix, i.e.
386BSD, FreeBSD and NetBSD. I tried to install the unix system into my IBM
compatible 486DX2. But for the first version, 386BSD, the bootable disk just
could not boot up. The 2nd version, FreeBSD, could boot up with the kernal dis
but failed on an error occured in the file-system disk. No one know how happy
I am when I installed the 3 disks of NetBSD into my hard disk successfully. I
hope I can extract the rest and finish the installation in a few days.

Here I met a problem. Although I made a new partition on my CONNER disk
(another partition is a MS-DOS primary partition, the installation always
overwrites the partition table and ruined the DOS partition. According to the
install note, I did key in any parameters such as number of cylinder, number o
heads, number of sectors, size and the offset of the partition in sectors, etc
.
I could not understand the meanning of "using a partition editor mark the new
NetBSD partition as having a type of 0xA5" and I skipped the step.

I believe that it is because of your effort that many of us can access the uni
system on a more common base, i.e. personal computer, and I hope someday I can
john the you. I would be very appreciated if you give me some advice on the
problem. My e-mail address is GHB03216@niftyserve.or.jp. Please don't use the
return path.

Joey